Chainage is a GISGRO feature that helps surveyors by being able to set up a labeling system on the datasets. You can add chainage to dataset such as pipelines at different locations e.g. A and B. Chainage also allows observations to be linked to a dataset. If you add a chainage after you have added observations; the observations will be automatically linked to the added chainage. Find out how to place observations: Observations
You may add chainage (in meters) to your survey area using this feature in the 3D view:
- ‘Open 3D view’ under reporting and observations
- Activate chainage tool from the dataset info panel to add a new chainage
- Select points in the dataset according to desired chainage.
- Hold Shift to end line.
Tip! To make exact vertical or horizontal perpendicular chainage, hold the Ctrl key as you click, hold the Shift key to end the chainage.
1. Fill in the chainage’s details:
- Label: Identification for the chainage. Can only contain lower/uppercase letters (A-Z).
- Label distance: Distance between two labels.
- Start labeling from: Starting number of the chainage.
- Height offset: Distance above the selected points in the dataset.
To modify a chainage, open the selected chainage from the dataset info panel, then Edit or Remove.
If you don’t see added chainage in dataset, please check if ‘Chainages’ are set to visible via layers. More info can be found in How to change 3D layers -page.